Theft of Catalytic Converters

Published: 29 April 2021

Did you know a thief can take a catalytic converter from your car within a matter of minutes and leave you to foot the bill?
Car which are often targeted are those with the higher chassis, such as a 4x4 or and SUV however other cars can still be targeted
To reduce the risk of having your catalytic converter stolen you should:
Park your car in a locked garage where possible but if this isn’t an option the park it in a well-lit and well populated area.
Park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being the closest to the fence, wall or kerb to make the theft more difficult.
Avoid parking your vehicle half on the pavement and half on the road as this may make it easier for the thieves to access the catalytic converter.
If parking in a public car park, consider parking alongside other cars and facing your bonnet towards the wall if possible. With the catalytic converter positioned at the front of your vehicle, this will make it harder for thieves to get close enough to steal it.
If there is a fleet of vehicles, park the low clearance vehicles to block the high clearance vehicles. This will obstruct access underneath.
If your catalytic converter is bolted on, you can ask for your local garage to weld the bolts to make it more difficult to remove.
You can etch a serial number onto the converter.
You can purchase a ‘cage clamp’ which is a device that locks in around the converter to make it more difficult to remove.
Speak to your local dealership about the possibility of adding a tilt sensor that will activate the alarm should any thief try to jack the vehicle up to steal the converter
If you see someone acting suspiciously under a vehicle, report it to the Police. Obtain as much information as possible including any vehicle registrations.
If you are aware of people dealing in stolen Catalytic converters  or other metal please e-mail  or phone 101.
Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or reporting online at